United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP. 2020 BMW X3M

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Thanks for the comments

I totally get the first BOLDED area above. Completely makes sense. However the second bolded area regarding passenger cars is the one that I understand but think can be solved by addressing one major root causes: inattentive drivers (usually attributed to texting, doing makeup, kids in the car or just generally absent mindedness). Curious to see what it would look like to employ more stringent ongoing license testing requirements (such as requiring a special license endorsement to use the left lane) and more enforceable laws around these areas would help address this inattentiveness?? Those are just two quick ideas, albeit not perfect, but they sure as hell seem like they would be 1,000 times easier to implement than the complexities of autonomous vehicles being the solution.
I like the idea of ongoing license testing requirements. I've often said we'd have better drivers if there was a requirement for periodic "re-testing". I'd say written test every 5 years and driving test every 10 years just to put a stake in the ground so to speak.

Laws change, technology intrudes and driving etiquette evolves so a more knowledgeable driving community, the better for all of us. I'd even say that this shouldn't be a law but an option from insurance companies. If you do this testing, your rates are lower by X%. They're already doing this with the plugin "nanny" - why not do it with testing too? Testing = 10%, plugin nanny = 20%....I don't want big brother (govt) or big sister (insurance) over my shoulder.

And this online "defensive driving" stuff, it's a joke. Something like Skip Barber's Driving School (http://skipbarber.com/driving-schools-basic/) or anything like this is more practical. My kids will be attending one of these than what the high school offers....

Perhaps even an age requirement -- over 65, driving test every 5 years. Please let's not be politically correct and say it's age discrimination. My father is 81 and averages 2 "oops" per year for the past 5 years. If he drives, it's 1 or 2x a month now because it's out of control and he's finally realized it.
Appreciate 0