View Single Post
      05-14-2008, 01:50 AM   #10
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katera View Post
I have a nano that I read will not work with the BMW ipod head unit for song read out. I have not seen the size of the pocket holder so I'm not sure which IPOD to get that would work the best. Also, a previous thread mentioned something about some IPODs not sounding as good as others with our cars. Tips appreciated, thanks!

Are looking for a playback device, or a storage device for you music?

If you looking for a storage device to house your musical collection, then you certainly don't need an iPod. Just purchase an 8gig thumb drive.

Coincidentally, the amount of misinformation on these boards is a tad disturbing. Since Macintosh (iPod, iPhone, iAnything) is highly proprietary and strewn with DRM, why people would buy or even use them as a medium is suspect. Using an iPod within a BMW requires a special cable because of Digital Rights Management. The reason is that the iPod/iPhone cannot output digitally is because then it could be copied without loss of quality. So the playback has to be analog(not digital). So BMW supplies the owner of their cars with a special iPod/iPhone cable to comply with Mac's DRM.

Most sensible people have an external HD filled with all their Rip'd albums in the form of MP3's, that way no matter what computer they buy/build they can always have their movie/music collection independent of their computer. Then, you can simply drag and drop all the albums you want into a tiny solid-state thumb-drive for mobility.
Appreciate 0