View Single Post
      09-25-2021, 12:08 AM   #9669
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteban View Post
[The Kinks - "Lola"]
English ain't my native tongue (I'm Flemish). So when my dad played or heard this Kinks song on the radio back in the early 70s (a song he liked, as most rock 'n roll songs), I had no clue what the song/lyrics was about. And so my beloved father - who was proficient in English and knew the lyrics - sung the chorus for me as a toddler as "Lola -- Two beers and a Cola !", as if it were an order for a waitress Lola in a bar. And so it happened that we all sang along very loud 'our' chorus in the car whilst driving: "lalala" rather quietly during the verses + the alternative 'drinks chorus' loud. Guess who was grinning behind the wheel...

Fast forward to today: my dad is gone since years and my English has improved, but when I hear that song, such as in Esteban's comment, I still start singing along loud the childhood days chorus: "Lola -- Two beers and a Cola !".

Or that time he asked to sit still for a couple of minutes on the couch in the living room to "listen to a nice song": "Hush-hush, imagine for a moment that you're very-very tiny and sitting on the back of a big bird flying across the shore". And then put the turntable needle on a record and cranked up the volume to play this song pretty loud till its final note inside the living room (my mum was gone getting groceries, so couldn't complain about the decibels, LOL):

Also this one I could hear a couple of times on a Saturday morning in the late 70s suddenly blasting loud from the hi-fi inside the living room. And then I thought from inside my bedroom: "Yup, mum's gone shopping": Hard-coded fond memories.

Littlebear3509.50
hubbahubba8809.00
bobowar1353479.00