07-06-2021, 12:24 PM   #106
spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
In SC (from what I have been able to piece together), the state handles all septic permits and inspections. You can't even apply for a building permit from the county without an approved state septic permit. I noticed that some lots had an approved/completed septic system installed when we were shopping for land, so I am assuming that it is fairly common to build the septic before the house in that area.

One of the major deciding factors in selecting the area where we purchased was that it actually has municipal water and gigabit fiber to the home. Both were built using rural utility incentives, and are things that I cannot even get at our current upstate NY house. The water company has a flat fee of $1500 for an install, which includes installing the water line to a house much farther off the road than ours will be.....
Not to take from OP DETRoadster , but I enjoy the knowledge and conversation of land acquisition for the purpose of building. Interesting to see you going through a potentially similar situation to ours in the not so distant future. One of our top considerations for the next move is vacant land to build a barndomindium in upstate South Carolina or western North Carolina. What roadblocks do you foresee in building a non-traditional structure? Zoning, financing, etc. In my limited understanding (I've never built before), I imagine purchasing the land outright and rolling that into the appraisal as collateral in the construction loan process.

We're early in our years, but the idea of something more rural and suited to our lifestyle is nothing new - it's been desired for many years. If it sticks in the brain, it must be right...right?
Appreciate 1
vreihen1614882.00