03-29-2021, 08:16 AM   #65
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonk! View Post
Few other minor things I wish we had in this house - insulation between floors for sound proofing, insulation in all bathroom walls (for the same thing!!) and locate the main plumbing stack between the first and second floors where is can't be heard when in use.
Agree. As said above I am finishing renovation next door and while it will be rental I did the same with the sound insulation. Also did it for some walls between bedrooms where there wasn't a closet between them, or where there wasn't 2 bathrooms back to back (tile walls are pretty good at soundproofing). When you read the specs on Rockwool sound compared to fiberglass there isn't a huge difference (still better) and there are endless debates and videos on Youtube but with labor essentially the same (for me was DIY), and the cost is only slightly more went with Rockwool.

While a rental it was just too simple and cheap not to add the sound insulation and no matter what wear and tear the place takes over time I figure these items will be hard to damage or wear out. With the plumbing stack, it does come down a wall that I thought you would be able to hear it so that call is heavy insulated, then vinyl sound mat. Toilets are going in now so haven't been able to tell how well I did yet.

I'm sure all the sound insulation was less than $1k (DIY). Ceiling of 1st and 2nd floor, wall between 2 bedrooms, 1/2 bath on 1st floor, some around one of the other bathrooms.