View Single Post
      06-11-2011, 09:43 PM   #3
mact3333
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 16' YMB/Blk F82

Kinda OT, but I agree with what you said about just dropping car with springs only messing up the geometry of the suspension.

My car was dropped 1 1/4 inch on all 4 corners with coil sleeve kit and it did exactly what you said...handled horribly on uneven pavement...extremely bouncy.

I raised the car 1/2 inch and now its much much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradocs98 View Post
Based on your signature, you have a KW variant 3 setup. Is this correct? Do you want to change to a (less agressive) Dinan setup?

If so, I can tell you about my experience. I have a 2011 ZCP sedan and had the Dinan Stage III suspension installed soon after taking delivery. Some people on this board suggested that I wasted my money because if I had planned on doing the Dinan suspension from the outset, I should have just ordered a non-ZCP car. By getting a ZCP car, however, I did get the updated/improved EDC system that runs in variable mode even in full firm, I got the updated/improved MDM, and I got the ZCP wheels, which I prefer to all the other stock wheels. With that in mind, I think it was a good decision overall and I'd probably do it the same way again if I could.

The Dinan suspension rides at about the same height as the ZCP suspension, which is lower than non-ZCP cars by about a half of an inch. Dinan specifically designed the system to allow MORE wheel travel despite shorter springs by changing the bump stops, so in some ways the ride is actually more compliant than stock. But when the EDC is set on the second or third position on the track, the car handles beautifully. According to my local shop, oftentimes when people just do shorter springs alone on the M3 it's counterproductive because while it may give an impressive look/stance, the compliance becomes terrible and the car skitters all over the place on bumpy surfaces. Another big advantage of the Dinan stage III is the camber plates to allow for more negative front camber than stock. Dinan suggests -1.8 up front for street and occasional track use, but I believe it can be set more aggressively if you'd like. And I like the fact that it's warranteed/supported by my dealer.

Attached are photos of the car with the Dinan suspension on the track, and at rest with track wheels/tires on.
Appreciate 0