08-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #63
SenorFunkyPants
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post

But the car is not comparable to a 911, 997 or 991, it simply is not....
In what respect?
I'm only talking about the driving experience, I owned eight 911s over 20 years, driven them on track days and most recently had a 997S gen 2 PDK for a day. I love them and will have another soon enough. But:
A 911 has a lot of weight in the back and as brilliant a job Porsche have done in masking that inherent unbalance the physics will always get you if push too far. Get the rear out too much especially in the wet and you will be making a 911 shaped hole in the scenery as you exit the road backwards.
If you are Chris Harris then all well and good - for most drivers, staying within the normal limits of a 911 is advisable.
The E9x M3 OTOH is eminently chuckable, its a car that is very stable and easy to drive at the limit and beyond...it flatters the average driver where the 911 does not.
Driven really hard, you get to your destination in an M3 thinking what a great fun drive that was...in a 911 you get there rather moist in the armpit area thinking wow I'm still alive....a different kind of satisfaction.
Appreciate 0