View Single Post
      06-30-2017, 07:22 AM   #17
jaye944
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a

txs for the reply, and yes, it is ignorance, not ashamed to say.
Some of the comments, are tongue in cheek.
This is the Trump years, man who ever heard of fake news b4 him, BLM movement and cop shootings .

I mean I know the US isnt like the TV shows, been to NY and queens.

When I say asian (lets say "indian" as a catch all) , see and this is my ignorance, I "don't" know if there would be an issue.

True story, on a plane from LHR to NY, sitting next to a black lady and her little girl had to be about 7 or 8. Had a ball of a time singing songs, doing games. She thought I was like in teaching or something. Got to discussing backgrounds. When we where getting of the plane, she said to me, "you have a bit of a hispanic look, so just be careful, until you start talking folks won't twig your british"

Again I had no problems, but it was a comment I had from an american female.

Let's say this thread is more about ignorance, information and some light hearted banter.

NO intention of stereotyping, or being mean (not on my part anywhere)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awsm66 View Post
This thread is disturbing. I had no idea people still see us this way or to even think that we would be like a TV show from the 80s.

Memphis does have high crime rates but its not a racist thing most of the time as far as I know. You don't hear of white on black crimes very often (like KKK stuff). Memphis is 72% black so why would you want to have a lighter skinned person with you? I am not sure I follow you there.

I have been there several times for work and have never had any issues but I stay away from the bad areas. Its been a while since I have been to Graceland (6th grade trip) but if I am not mistaken that is definitely a place you should see if you are an Elvis fan. Like others said if you stay in the tourist areas you are usually good.

Also since when did being Asian become an issue in the south. I thought the stereotype was that MS and other southern states just hate black people. I didn't know Asians were included in that.
Appreciate 0