01-16-2020, 11:25 AM   #530
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middy2000 View Post
Classic media frenzy I'm afraid. Yes in big cities there are gangs and knives. The media did a great job of making this into something it isn't.
Away from the big cities it's less of an issue. People don't habitually carry knives here.

Nobody has ever pulled a knife on me in my career. Whilst I'm wary of the prospect I don't let it govern how I approach people.
It might be something to have a knife brandished but it's a whole different world for somebody to then use it on me.
We teach the LE (and everybody else) in our defense classes that if a person brandishes a knife at you, most of the time they are inexperienced and don't know how to use it.

It's the knife you don't see....one concealed correctly that you have to really watch for. I have seen some very skilled people with a blade, and if they want to use it, you are lucky getting out of that situation without some type of damage if you let them get close to you.

Of course it's a little different with LEO as they are usually in charge of the situation from the start and know how to keep someone at a safe distance from them. But for others that aren't specifically trained for that, it can be scary even though it's rare it may happen.

Either way...it's still needs to be treated as a serious issue. Someone willing to try and get that close and personal has issues!

I respect all you guys immensely. Wish everyone else shared the same sentiment.