05-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #22
Echo M3
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanity View Post
It's unhealthy on a NORMAL diet. If you understood the hormone change on a ketogenic diet you'd understand WHY your cholesterol goes down. On a REGULAR diet the hormones present, combined with such unhealthy foods as this, WILL give you high cholesterol yes. But not in a ketogenic state, if only you had paid more attention in Biology class.

Initial entrance into the Ketogenic state does take 2-3 days, yes. Once in ketosis, and after a day of carbing up, it takes 24 hours to re-enter ketosis. Don't believe me? Go on the diet yourself, carb-up, and then go pee on a ketostix 24 hours later.

I will look into risks 1 & 2, but risks 3 and 4 are not relevant.

1) On this diet the body simply DOES NOT increase in cholesterol but actually GOES DOWN in cholesterol because of the enzymes missing associated with carb intake (such as insulin, the hormone used to uptake high concentrations of glucose in your blood, and the conversion of food into glycogen)

2) Did you even read the post at all? Seriously. This diet was MADE to prevent muscle-loss. Here's the run down: You work out, using up the glycogen in your muscles to perform this anaerobic excercise. Glycogen is depleted. If you continue on this diet WITHOUT carbing up (like the atkins keto diet) you will lose muscle because your body will break it down for energy.

The CKD diet allows for a 24 hour to 48 hour carb-up period in which your body leaves ketosis and uses the carbs first and foremost to replenish your glycogen storages in the muscles -- it simply will not store this as fat since there is high-need to replenish glycogen in muscles for the activities of weight lifting later on throughout the week.

3) Not sure about the development of kidney stones, but the diet instills a high water intake. My urine is completely clear.

4) Cultures, such as the Inuit, have had for centuries NO ACCESS to carbohydrates. In cold plains where they live, growing crops is simply not possible -- and definitely improbably since they live a nomadic lifestyle (which also rules out going to the local store and buying them). And yet, the Inuit experience almost no illnesses like the ones we have, low cholesterol, and very good cardiac health. There were studies conducted on this. The only thing affecting the Inuit are Alcohol and Tobacco.

But I'll look more into ketoacidosis.

P.S. No where is it written that this is a long-term lifestyle change. It is clearly labelled a diet, and as such it is hoped that the average person is already well educated in what the term "diet" means if they plan on committing themselves to a complete excercise regime. But if you don't, a diet is a change in eating habits for a SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. Drop the long-term lifestyle implications of this already, goodness.

Well now, where do I begin. It's clear that you are completely out of your league, sir.

1.) Cholesterol intake has NOTHING to do with your levels of insulin (or counter-regulatory hormones for that matter). Eating that sort of diet will lead to increased levels of cholesterol intake into your body. The cholesterol is taken up by particles (lipoproteins) into your bloodstream. Your liver ordinarily is involved with removing excess cholesterol in the blood, via receptor-mediated uptake. When you have very high levels of cholesterol in your blood, some of that cholesterol is taken up by phagocytes (macrophages) in the lining of your arteries. Phagocytes then oxidize the protein-cholesterol particles, ultimately leading to deposition of lipids in your blood vessel walls, and ATHEROSCLEROSIS (which is a direct cause of vascular disease and heart attacks).

2.) You are correct that the ketogenic diet will downregulate insulin, as the body perceives that you are in a low-energy (fasting) state due to low glucose levels. The body's reaction to this is to activate hormone-sensitive lipase in your adipose tissues, releasing fatty acids into your blood stream. Coupled with your excessive ingestion of fats (eg. bacon), you end up in a state of hypertriglyceridemia (high lipid levels in your blood), which is a direct risk factor for heart attacks and strokes.

3.) Your liver attempts to compensate for your low glucose levels by ketogenesis (ketosis). It does this by taking up SOME of the fats in your circulation (as well as proteins) and converts them into ketone bodies. One of the side effects is that some fat gets stored in your liver, and over time can lead to fatty liver disease, a cause of hepatic cirrhosis and hepatocellular carcinoma (liver cancer).

4.) I've heard about the 'Inuit hypothesis'. Current theory holds that they likely have genetic differences (due to natural selection) that allow them to maintain a ketogenic diet without any adverse effects. These DNA sequencing studies I believe are currently ongoing.

Ketogenic diet adverse effects summary:

1.) Increased cholesterol levels -> increased risk of heart attack or stroke
2.) Increased lipid levels in blood -> increased risk of heart attack, stroke, and/or liver disease
3.) Increased risk of kidney stones

You are right, the point of a diet is to be short term. MY point, however, is that no one knows for certain what delineates between "short term" and "long term". There is no clear-cut line between 'safe' , short term ketosis and long-term, damaging ketosis. Plus, I would assume that one would have to repeatedly return to the diet to maintain those weight losses, unless you manage the impossible (maintaining your post-diet weight perfectly, forever).

I don't understand why one would choose this diet, but it's your choice if you choose to follow it. However, don't portray your diet as perfectly safe or medically sound. I just want to make sure that everyone is well and truly aware of the potential health issues associated with a ketogenic diet, upon which they can make an informed decision. If you don't believe me, speak to your physician. Or, open a physiology textbook.

Best of luck

Last edited by Echo M3; 05-03-2011 at 11:44 PM..
Appreciate 0