05-02-2011, 09:50 PM   #20
Vanity
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown09 View Post
If you think your cholesterol is not affected by this diet you are crazy. Eating bacon, chicken wing's, pepperoni and other high fat greasy food's is not a healthy diet.

If you make a lifestyle change by eating low-calorie nutrition dense food's like vegetables, fish, nuts, salads, and also workout regularly then that is all you need.

If you need to lose alot of fat then this diet would be ok for maybe 8-10 week's but you will not find any doctor recommending this diet for long-term. So eventually you will need a better plan, see second paragraph.
It's unhealthy on a NORMAL diet. If you understood the hormone change on a ketogenic diet you'd understand WHY your cholesterol goes down. On a REGULAR diet the hormones present, combined with such unhealthy foods as this, WILL give you high cholesterol yes. But not in a ketogenic state, if only you had paid more attention in Biology class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Htown09 View Post
I did the KETO based off of Atkin's which he does not recommend "carb up". What is the point of doing that if you go crazy on carb day (most ppl. prob. will) it will take 2-3 day's to get to Ketosis then you only have 2 day's of fat burning for the week.

I lost 20lbs. so I def. was in KETO I ate less than 20g. carb's per day.
Initial entrance into the Ketogenic state does take 2-3 days, yes. Once in ketosis, and after a day of carbing up, it takes 24 hours to re-enter ketosis. Don't believe me? Go on the diet yourself, carb-up, and then go pee on a ketostix 24 hours later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman10 View Post
I can't believe the crap that is being suggested these days.

Ketosis is NOT a condition all of you should be seeking. It might work in temporarily reducing your fat, but the side effects are tremendous and far more severe.

Ketosis over time will lead to Ketoacidosis. This is a state where your body can't buffer the increased acid content of your blood (ketone bodies are acidic) This has some serious ramifications:

1.) Your body will begin to break down bone to buffer the increased serum (blood) acidity, putting you at risk of increased fractures, etc. This is a normal physiologic response to chronic acidity of the blood.

2.) Bone breakdown will release calcium and phosphate into your blood - excess calcium will be excreted through your kidneys, putting you at risk of kidney stones. This will be exacerbated by the low pH of your urine (promotes uric acid crystal formation).

3.) Rapid increase in cholesterol, putting you at risk of atherosclerosis and cardiac MIs (heart attacks), vascular disease, and strokes at a young age.

4.) Depletion of muscle glycogen will lead to MUSCLE ATROPHY, defeating the purpose of the diet. The ketogenic diet starves your body of glycogen, the fuel used by your muscle.

The reasons go on and on. If you don't believe me, look up alcoholic ketoacidosis. The disease process is similar to a ketogenic diet. Feel free to do as you wish, but at least please understand the risks of such a diet before undertaking it.

Cheers
I will look into risks 1 & 2, but risks 3 and 4 are not relevant.

1) On this diet the body simply DOES NOT increase in cholesterol but actually GOES DOWN in cholesterol because of the enzymes missing associated with carb intake (such as insulin, the hormone used to uptake high concentrations of glucose in your blood, and the conversion of food into glycogen)

2) Did you even read the post at all? Seriously. This diet was MADE to prevent muscle-loss. Here's the run down: You work out, using up the glycogen in your muscles to perform this anaerobic excercise. Glycogen is depleted. If you continue on this diet WITHOUT carbing up (like the atkins keto diet) you will lose muscle because your body will break it down for energy.

The CKD diet allows for a 24 hour to 48 hour carb-up period in which your body leaves ketosis and uses the carbs first and foremost to replenish your glycogen storages in the muscles -- it simply will not store this as fat since there is high-need to replenish glycogen in muscles for the activities of weight lifting later on throughout the week.

3) Not sure about the development of kidney stones, but the diet instills a high water intake. My urine is completely clear.

4) Cultures, such as the Inuit, have had for centuries NO ACCESS to carbohydrates. In cold plains where they live, growing crops is simply not possible -- and definitely improbably since they live a nomadic lifestyle (which also rules out going to the local store and buying them). And yet, the Inuit experience almost no illnesses like the ones we have, low cholesterol, and very good cardiac health. There were studies conducted on this. The only thing affecting the Inuit are Alcohol and Tobacco.

But I'll look more into ketoacidosis.

P.S. No where is it written that this is a long-term lifestyle change. It is clearly labelled a diet, and as such it is hoped that the average person is already well educated in what the term "diet" means if they plan on committing themselves to a complete excercise regime. But if you don't, a diet is a change in eating habits for a SHORT PERIOD OF TIME. Drop the long-term lifestyle implications of this already, goodness.

Last edited by Vanity; 05-02-2011 at 09:56 PM..
Appreciate 0