10-03-2019, 02:26 PM   #1323
Wheelwright
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: M235i (6MT fakerich edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Blood View Post
Does anybody have a recommendation for a combat flight simulator online?
I'm looking at Warbirds, but that's been around since.....the wright brothers?
I recommend IL2 Sturmovik Great Battles Series (I only play offline, but this simulator has significant online following, too). If you decide to go that route you should probably buy "Battle of Kuban" and "Battle of Bondenplatte Early Access". I am having a literal blast flying Hawker Tempest Mk 5 which was only released a couple of days ago along with P-38 and P-51.

One of the great things about IL2 is that it is scalable from an almost-arcade game to a full-fledged simulator, depending how many computer-helper checkboxes you check (like for example: simplified physics or simplified engine management). And you can even enable computer tips which give you advise on what you're doing wrong during your flight. So it is accessible to almost everyone.

But for the most authentic experience, you will eventually have to disable all the computer helpers from the simulator and fly purely relying on authentic instrumentation using real-life procedures and tactics. That's where this simulator really comes into its own, offering superlative, even transfixing experience of flight and aerial WW2 combat.

Also you cannot skimp on hardware: as a minimum you will need VKB rudders, TrackIR and VKB or Virpil joystick (no cheap Logitech stuff).

Good luck with your search (and if you're interested check some MagzTV Youtube IL2 videos).
Appreciate 1