View Single Post
      08-14-2022, 10:39 AM   #37
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vreihen16 View Post
I'm not sure if it's because the Mighty Dodge has "damn yankee" NY license plates, because some of them are seasonal residents, or that they just don't care and southern hospitality is a myth. [...]
lol....this reminds of when I was TDY in NC back in 2009. I was at Lowes looking for mat'l to rig something with and saw an older lady that looked like she needed help. You all know how that normally goes so I offered her help and got her what she needed.

She politely thanked me and said, "You're not from around here are you? You have an accent.".

Me being me jokingly responded w/ something like I'm in town on business and everyone I've met had an accent except me.

She laughed and then asked where home was and I said Chicago. lol....her face sunk and she visibly recoiled while gasping "That's Obama country."

I laughed and said I didn't vote for him. Like a switch, she then snapped back to the polite, engaged person she was previously. Even recommended a good Thai restaurant in town.

Where I am, people are mostly friendly. Neighbor's wife will engage in convo but the husband mostly doesn't make eye contact or say anything (once in a while he'll talk but rarely). Retired couple nearby never say or wave hi on their own much less to reciprocate. Everyone else always waves even if they don't know you or are from an adjacent subdivision. Most people don't hang out with each other, though. We have big lots so I'm sure that factors in.
paquet629.50