08-01-2020, 10:35 AM   #9
Mintsopoulos
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 MW F80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebmw View Post
Where in Chicagoland are you planning to go? Schools matter. That's one of the biggest selling points of certain Chicago burbs. Literally the best public schools in the country. Great schools, job opportunities, and family are why my most people stay in Chicagoland. If it wasn't for those things, I think many people would probably get out because of the property taxes.

Downtown is a whole separate story. Unless you're young and single, it actually kind of sucks after a while. Once you have kids and when you get older, you should be over all day pointless bars and clubs and stuff like that. You start running into real problem such as finding parking or walking 10 min from your parking spot up to your apartment while carrying a baby and bags and pushing a stroller, etc. It just sucks. And then add covid, the violence, winter...no point living downtown.
Were going to be staying with the In-laws in elmhurst at least until we get settled and our house sells here in AZ but as far as future homes we are really like the elgin or naperville area. The schools seem to be great and both areas are beautiful.

As far as being downtown, i just love being down there. Ill never actually live in the city but just culture, the food, the entertainment...theres no other city like it. I remember my dad taking me to the field museum, shedd aquarium, and auto show every year and to be able to do that sort of stuff with my son and him would be awesome.