View Single Post
      09-18-2023, 01:33 PM   #1
carconn
CarConn
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 528i

Question 09 528i CRANKS BUT WON'T START!

HELP !!!
Hey everybody I need some help! My 09 528i is usually a delight to drive, but every few months it gives me a new challenge. On my way to lunch the other day, it was driving along beautifully and then suddenly just cut out. No sputtering no backfiring and no intermittent stalling, it just completely shut down in the middle of the road. Tried restarting it several times, and it would crank but not start. I did not have any diagnostic tools on me so I couldn't do much except call for the tow truck which showed up 2 hours later. Once at home, I scanned the car but got no codes. I put a charger on the battery just in case, then sprayed some starting fluid in the intake and it fired up briefly so I assumed the crank sensor was good. Just to be sure I pulled one of the coils, inserted a screwdriver and had a friend crank the car and I did get a spark. I then disconnected the fuel hose from the fuel rail and cranked the engine again, but the fuel barely trickled out. Since the fuel pump was original, I assumed that it finally given up the ghost, so I ordered a new fuel pump and installed it. Cranked up the car, and it would not start again 😔.
I rescanned the modules with a BMW specific launch scanner and this time I got a code 651B EKPS Suction Jet Pump malfunction. After doing some research and removing the pump again, as well as the filter unit on the driver side, I discovered that the fuel levels were uneven and that the passenger side where the pump is had very little fuel in there. I added some more fuel to the tank on that side, cleared the codes, cranked the car again. It would not start, but I did not get the same code back this time. I pulled the fuel hose off the fuel rail, and cranked it one more time to see only a trickle of fuel. I activated the pump using the scanner, and the volume of the fuel increased. I scanned all the modules again with INPA - again no codes. I activated the pump with INPA, with the same results, more fuel, but the car still won't start. I was thinking it may be a bad EKPS module but both INPA and the Launch BMW scanner seem to communicate with the module with no problem. My scanner does not show fuel pressure reading at the fuel rail, and I could not find any function on the INPA screens that shows fuel pressure. Just the pump activation showed a full green bar at 100%. At this point I am really stumped and would welcome any suggestions. 🙏🏼
Appreciate 0