rad doc
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 1M AW loaded

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmtt View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Run Silent View Post
Because, in general, the standard % back on most cards doesn't really make it worth the hassle.

I don't really have any bills and most places like the utility company or water company charge a 2% convenience fee to use a CC, negating any gains. Wife and I don't really spend much money. When we do make a big purchase, like travel, we will open a card to get the 'introductory' offers and then cancel them.

The only card I actually use is my bank CC, which gives me 3% back on gas. I pay it off every Friday, lol.

That adds up to a little bit, but not much - something like $70 a year.

Same here! Lol I'm a cheap was....maybe that's why work has me doing most of their purchases and I'm a plant engineer.

All our bills are paid for, we a an emergency fund of almost 18 months saved, and any extra income/incentives I get go into some type of retirement fund.

I look at it now that if it's a "want" and we can't outright buy it...than we didn't need it.

Only took the wife a few years to come to that way of thinking.

And with that one personal card I have, depending on when corporate cuts checks, they pay any fees incurred so it's paid off monthly.

Now I admit it's not used quite as much as it was in the past. Biggest single purchase I ever made with it was $37K at a plant auctioning off equipment.

These last few years I've only averaged maybe $7K-$10K a year on it.
It makes me laugh when i hear the "We dont use credit cards" humblebrag. You really are missing tons of benefits and freebies. Not to mention I would hate to use my debit account for all purchases. I find credit card companies are much easier to work with for fraud and chargebacks.

As to the fees, most will wave the fees if you are a good enough customer. Smart usage and we haven't paid for a plane tickets in years. For example, just booked last minute flight to nyc. Free with points vs 650 per. Saved on baggage charges too. We come out way ahead yearly.
Appreciate 0