View Single Post
      03-27-2019, 08:52 AM   #33
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Here is my perspective:

First, when I don’t like my job or the near-term outlook, or the city I’m in, I think of the men and women in our military who go to unpleasant places, live in poor conditions, take on difficult tasks and receive low pay. I admire these people and appreciate this sacrifice among the many they are called to make. And their perseverance and success reminds me that I can tolerate my much better conditions at least as long as a standard military tour. They also teach me that I can go anywhere in any country for a good opportunity, and come back better for it.

Second, I think back a couple of generations to the couple who had a shop in their neighborhood, maybe a tailor or market, and lived above it, raised a family there. Lived their entire adult lives like that, working daily, rarely (never) a vacation, no retirement. Worked until they couldn’t or died (often both). My career and retirement prospects are much better than that, and I am thankful for that.

Third, I have some investments and often contemplate others - art, collectibles, stocks, bonds? But none of them and all of them together do not produce returns comparable to my best asset, which is me (and my job/career). So I invest more time in me: learning, networking, striving for success, than in anything else.

Yes I have bad days, I’ve made plenty of career mistakes, I have regrets (too few to mention), but I’ve got it pretty good, I’m thankful for the opportunities and successes, and I work hard to make each day better for me, my family and my employer. This attitude is critical to me, and I wish I’d developed it earlier in my life.
Appreciate 6
King Rudi13147.00
nyalpine907374.50
Run Silent15127.00