Enlisted Member
Andorra
Rep
Drives: F87 BMW M2 Comp M6T (2020)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seis-speed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by weingarm View Post
Not exactly accurate on the F80 M3 MT numbers. They were actually lower and will be even lower for the G80/82. I'm impressed the M2 reached a 50% MT take-rate.

For the global production run, F80 was 15.6% MT (5426/34,677)
For the US production run, F80 was 28.3% MT (4548/16,057)

According to BMW's G80/82 M3/4 launch materials, they expect global M3/4 MT take rate will be:
G80 M3: 12%
G82 M4: 8%

Given these forecast percentages (and the chip-shortage/wire-harness shortage induced low production numbers for M3/4 model years 2021-2022 and beyond) perhaps <5000 MT G80 M3 will ever be produced globally!

See attached pics.
I said US. Take away the CS end of cycle production being auto only and it is pretty close to 30%….

US supports the manual.

As someone who wants a manual G80, I feel like BMW has been very limited in production can't find one can't get an allocation….We shall see how that shakes out.
To put things in context, manuals in Europe are not necessarily a synonym of "sport" cars, but quite the opposite. In fact all low to mid range cars from most brands are manuals with no option to automatic.

Think about Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, Volkswagen, Ford, Fiat, etc. Only high end cars or brands are offered with automatic transmissions.

I drive a manual because I still like it more than an auto but most high end buyers including BMW clients of M cars will not chose a manual over a much faster and effective 'state of the art' transmission with shifter paddles on the steering wheel. That's where the coolness goes from an European point of view, and the reason why most European sport car brands have gone that route, abandoning manual transmissions.

Also, regular cruise speeds in parts of Europe are much faster than the USA, particularly on the German autobahns, so manuals with only 6 gears do not really fit there due to high rpm, suboptimal fuel efficiency, noise, and ultimately shorter car life.

So no manuals offered from European brands is simply lack of demand on their core market.
Appreciate 1