View Single Post
      03-05-2024, 10:25 AM   #6
JustcallmeToby
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I Xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockCrusher View Post
The CEL can be on if the ECU exhausted its attempts to try to get a readiness monitor test to complete.

If you clear the CEL you also reset all the readiness monitors to incomplete. A suitable drive cycle is thus required to give the ECU time to complete all the readiness monitor tests.

Get a suitable OBD2 code reader/scan tool that lets you check CEL status and readiness monitor statuses. Check these before you take the car in for an inspection. But if the CEL is on or there are too many readiness monitors still incomplete or even just one but a critical one you need to deal with the CEL and incomplete readiness monitors.

Also, even if the CEL is dark and the readiness monitors are all set to complete there is the chance the car may *not* pass a visual inspection.

For details on what is involved here's a link for you:

https://dmv.ny.gov/brochure/new-york...ection-program

About 5 screens down is the section on emissions inspection.
Thanks man . so just making this clear . right now i dont have a check engine light. i havent reset any of the monitors. so if i currently have a catless downpie with no check engine light then i should be good to go to a shop my boy owns n when he hooks up the obd device even though emission will read not ready since i dont have the cat i should still pass right ?

Last edited by JustcallmeToby; 03-05-2024 at 10:35 AM..
Appreciate 0