View Single Post
      07-30-2008, 03:47 PM   #16
GT3 Tim
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MB E63S

I have had several helmets over the years. For me, I now wear a Bell Mag 4 which is an open face helmet for under $300. After years of having nicer closed face helmets, I learned that they are HOT as hell, can fog up, and are pretty much overkill in a modern car. That's what I would recommend.....YMMV.

Yeah, they look a bit dorky...lol. I don't care anymore. I would rather be comfy than look cool with a $1,200 helmet. Oh yeah, I also went to the open faced as when I was instructing a lot, I was getting sick and tired of shoving the mic and earpiece up into my helmet. MUCH easier and comfy with an open face! Plus, it doesn't sound like you are in a tuna can when you talk.

As for suits, I only wore one when karting...never used it in the car. Again, overkill IMHO.

Shoes...whatever fits and feels good. The ones mentioned previously are great shoes. I have been wearing a set of G-Force shoes for a few years now...fairly cheap...but they work fine. Again, I am more interested in being good than looking good, so $50 shoes are cool with me as long as they function well.

Last edit: Whatever you do, try on everything first! Find a good shop and try on a variety of helmets, shoes, etc. Make sure they fit you properly and that you aren't going to be uncomfortable wearing them!

Bell Mag 4:
Attached Images

2008 E90 M3 -- Sold
2004 GT3 -- Sold
1997 M3/4 -- Sold
1995 M3 -- Sold
Appreciate 0