View Single Post
      03-10-2014, 02:31 PM   #95
RR-NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I wouldn't like it, but I wouldn't care if the car was identical. I'd still buy it and maybe remove the badging. Perfect for a track day toy and to beat around in. If they can build an identical car for 10% of the price, maybe BMW should lower their cost?

I don't think this argument holds water as there is no way you can get the same car for 10% of the cost. Unless this is some kind of shell with the interior and a 3 cylinder engine from a Tata Nano. That is not something 99% of people will think is real. People can tell easily. So fake car does not equal fake watch in analogy.

Luxury watches are totally different in that everything is enclosed and besides appearance, you don't know the difference from the outside. Also, watches sell on brand alone - their actual costs are way below that of the selling price.
You are arguing a point I'm not making. I am not talking about whether someone could make an identical BMW for 10% of the cost. I'm asking whether you would buy a counterfeit BMW i.e. someone stealing the design and manufacturing an exact replica of a BMW M3

But to your point, A price of BMW parts is not indicative of the cost of goods - the aftermarket manufacturers are proof of this. You are paying for R & D, design, and brand
Appreciate 0