View Single Post
      04-30-2020, 04:37 PM   #1
Sporah
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 535i xdrive

VANOS N54

Hello all!
I'm desperate for some help here... I have a 2010 535i xdrive with the N54.
Yesterday, I put 10 hours into changing out the valve cover for a new one. I started by disconnecting the negative battery terminal. The middle gasket was leaking oil into my spark plugs and dripping down to my exhaust, where it burned up. I took the spark plugs out and let the minimal amount of oil drip down into the cylinders where it could be burnt off. One small issue occurred when the plastic clamp mechanism broke on the Crankcase Vent hose but its still difficult to take off. I watched a DIY and followed everything step by step, thought everything would be perfect now.
Today, I turned the car over after pressurizing the fuel, and I have engine malfunction, reduced power!....

I immediately went to scan my codes, and here is what came up:

P054B Cold Star "B" camshaft position timing over-retarded bank 1.
I deleted the codes after and started up again, and still had the camshaft position timing over-retarded bank 1 code (P054B).

This code pretty clearly seems to be VANOS related. I took out and cleaned both solenoids, the issue persists. I then switched the two solenoids around to see if it would switch to a different code, it did’t change.
My solenoids definitely should be replaced at my milage, I just don’t see why they would throw the car into limp mode RIGHT AFTER doing the valve cover.
Swapped around the camshaft sensors too, no change. Also, I’ve already inspected the oil filter cap, and it is fine.

I see online that this code can be thrown for a number of reasons, just trying to find out the exact one.

The car only threw itself into limp mode AFTER the valve cover replacement.

Does anyone have any idea as to what is going on? I did this job myself to try to save $900 in labor, would love to resolve this issue without have to pay a lump some of money to my local shop. They’ve already price gouged me enough for my liking.

Thank you all for your time, hope someone has an answer to my issue
Appreciate 0