spazzyfry123
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Here and There

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OkieSnuffBox View Post
So what's the problem?

Were you leaving because of money or because you didn't like the environment?

One of my previous jobs, a good friend of mine didn't really want to leave, but they weren't giving him his do (as a Tech Writer I was making more than a software engineer with a Masters)

They gave him a $30k/yr raise to keep him and he's now left that company, but still works for another company under the big corporate umbrella. He will be a super high up in another 10 years I bet (we are in our mid 30s.)
See my original post on the first page some time ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spazzyfry123 View Post
Funny timing. I just accepted a job offer with a new company this morning because I am unhappy with my current job.

Been at my current place for a little over seven years. Started as an engineer and currently manage the plant. It's the job I wanted and the pay is as expected for the job title in a subject that I deeply enjoy (industrial power transmission OEM). Problem is I'm fried working 60+ hour weeks and having to perform the tasks that should be completed by people I would manage. Those 60+ hours are chewed up doing the day-to-day and leave little room to accomplish what it is I'm actually getting paid for because headcount is a concern. Of which I can quantify that I work 150%+ more than I get paid. Too many people work here that don't know what they're doing and in a very inefficient way with management that enjoys talking about strategy but rarely acting upon what's been said.

Job security is immense for me specifically with my current employer, but we're stagnant with no real company growth specific to my facility (subsidiary of global company with mine facilitating everything for the North American market). We haven't increased our market share with our annual revenue flat-lined over the past however many years. I feel I've met terminal velocity in my personal career growth and knowledge of the product with the next position being managing director - something that I'm not interested in with this specific company - and would not see for years. I can't sit on my hands for that long with my young age being prime for career goals.

Enter new company with a role that pays a decent chunk more (plus overtime) with better direct and indirect benefits with less responsibility, but a great stepping stone to great opportunities within the company. The type of place that I'd be happy to retire with and never possibly meet that "terminal velocity" as there are such a variety of internal modalities.

Taking a leap and stepping out of my comfort zone, but I'm hoping that it results in some of my hair growing back on my head and more time spent with the family while still putting more in my pocket. Here goes nothing...
After hours of discussion, I stood strong and gave my final "no" a couple hours ago. On to the next!
Appreciate 0