Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
Damn!!

You sir, are an artisan. Thanks for reporting to all of us. Amazing job!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenB925 View Post
I made my sourdough bread on Saturday morning, I learned a lot. I'll definitely do a couple of things different next time.

There are countless ways to mess up bread making, especially if you are cooking it with fire.

The good:
-the sourdough starter performed perfectly, I fed it for about a week, bloomed it, bulk fermented it, and did a 12 hour proof in the fridge
-I used a 'no kneed' method described in the book "Tartine Bread" I worked perfectly, the crumb could not have been much better.
-linen cloths are awesome

Areas for improvement:
-I either need to make smaller loaves, or get bigger proofing baskets
-I need to get more 'tension' in the dough before putting it in the baskets (I had a feeling I should have done this a it more when I was in the middle of it)
-I think the dough needs to come up to temperature in the proofing baskets, then turn out on to the peel and quickly get into the oven. I let them sit on the peel for too long, they ended up sticking a little and were difficult to get off. Leaving them 'unsupported' out of the basket made them flatten out a bit more then I would like.
-I need to let the oven get more 'heat soaked' it cooled faster then I wanted it to, using the method that I used, you get the oven up to temp then remove the fire/coals and cook using residual heat. I have been guilty of trying to rush this before...and I did it again. Next time I'll either let the fire go for a couple of hours, maybe even get it up to 600 and let it cool back, or I'll put a fire wall in there with bricks and keep a small fire going.
-I used a water tray (you need some steam to let the bread rise) that was too big.

Conclusion, with the exception of the shape of the loaves, I could not be happier with the results.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 0