View Single Post
      01-21-2020, 05:00 PM   #817
KenB925
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: ZL1, Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by polychromatic View Post
Keep me posted, I’m getting ready to do the same thing. I thought I’d follow THIS since I’m a neophyte.
This is my first success (so far) at a sourdough starter, but not my first attempt.

I did something similar to your link, twice. The first time it just did start, I think I kept everything too clean, you are supposed to get your hands in there, and let it be exposed to the air. I kept it pretty covered up because we have a cat running around the house.

The second time I was 'less' clean and it started but got funky and I threw it away. Knowing what I know now, I think it was doing what it was supposed to be doing, but I didn't feed it often enough.

This time I bought a dry package of (what is advertised as) Original San Francisco Starter, the procedure is basically the same and it takes about 4 days to a week it get it going. Feeding it twice a day etc.

I would be more confidant doing one myself again, now that I know what I am looking for, and what it should smell like etc.

My understanding, from reading a couple books on this stuff, is that eventually "local" yeasts from wherever you are will take over your culture. Maybe just one opinion, but it makes some sense.
Appreciate 0