View Single Post
      05-10-2019, 06:10 PM   #19
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

But for realz

I was doing the work, house, save money etc thing. I was stuck on that treadmill. All with the hopes that I would be happy at some point in the future if I did all this stuff. In the meantime I was miserable and hated my jobs so I bought crap I didn't need for that momentary shot of dopamine. Then my father died.

I've never had anyone that close to me die except for my uncle back when I was still in college. Although I had been wanting a change for a while I think that was the trigger. He was super excited to retire and although he had his own business he kept putting it off to save some more money. Never got to retire, same with my uncle.

I'm not making the same mistake. A few months later I got laid off. Instead of finding another job I focused on my side business I had started a few years back and focused on growing my freelance business. For maybe like 6 months I lived off that business and supplemented it with my savings. Now I work my businesses full time and focus on work that will generate the most $$ for the least amount of time. Since I can run my business from anywhere we travel around the country in our rv for around 6 months out of the year.

Wether the fact that I was focused on my business fulltime or just luck. I actually make more now than I ever did at any previous job I've had and I work a fraction of the time I use to. That being said I try to save as much as I can now that the money is coming in. I also try to make moves that will hopefully put me in a good position were the shit to hit the fan, because I don't think I could ever go back to the 9-5 grind.

I feel like I have been in a daze for the past 15 years and finally woke up 4 years ago.

All that being said do what makes YOU happy. I know people who do enjoy their careers and get a lot of fulfillment from moving up in the company and stuff like that. Or from their family, having kids etc. Do what makes you happy and do it now, stop putting it off, even if it's hookers and blow.
Appreciate 5