View Single Post
      10-31-2023, 09:19 PM   #27
JustinHEMI
Not great. Not terrible
Rep
Drives: 2024 BMW X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRAKE! View Post
I don't see rates coming down until the Fed can see CPI/PCE numbers hover over their target for at least 6 months to a year. The current rate hikes have got us to where we are now and it's working to curb inflation and so the Fed has no reason to decrease it yet.

But that's besides the point. I wouldn't buy in your situation for a year or so. This is because;
1) You're moving to a new area and you may not know where the best place for you is yet
2) You got a new job - what if you hate it? The last thing you need in that situation is to be locked down due to a home.
3) For most housing markets a break-even point is 7 years for a home (factor in taxes, maintenance, HOA fees, lawn care, etc). Unless you are certain to a high degree that you will stay at least that amount, chances are you'll lose money even if the place appreciate a little.

For those reasons, I would stake out a nice rental, try out the job, see if the area provides you/your family with what you're looking for in life, (if you have kids, check out the school districts) and then purchase.

Good points!

Thanks all!