Thread: Router
View Single Post
      09-08-2021, 12:42 PM   #1
2000cs
Captain
Rep
Drives: Potato

Router

This topic comes up for me every few years, because routers don’t seem to last.

I have not been getting the throughput on my router than I should, measured speed at the cable (POE), Modem and Router and I’m losing about 20% at the router, and more since all of my connections from there are WiFi. So I think it might be time for a new one.

Looking for recommendations for WiFi router, no modem needed. Input port for Ethernet from Modem, one or more output Ethernet for alarm system and security cameras. All else is WiFi.
*Should be good quality so it will last several years
*Fast throughput for 1G speeds, although I don’t have that service today (400M today, but eventually I’ll get a gig).
*20 simultaneous WiFi devices (a lot of idling Sonos and Roku, really 2-4 devices in heavy use at any time)
*We don’t game, but we do stream and surf.
*Nice to have app support so I don’t have to physically visit the router every time it needs a reset or whatever.
*Range is not a huge issue. 2,500 sq ft two-story box house with the router dead center. Longest distance for the router is under 25 ft. Mesh etc not needed. But want to maintain signal/speed so range may be a good compensator for signal degradation.
*Ideally not too expensive but will pay up for the above, especially longevity.

It seems every review site recommends a different router these days. Hard to sort them out so looking for any help.
Appreciate 0