04-12-2019, 09:06 AM   #45
Defiant2
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 Hockenheim M2C

Garage List
To the OP:

Two things, and I'll be as brief as possible. One: some people are just jellyfish. You know these people, they are the ones that go wherever the tides take them and they are AOK with it. They're happy being jellyfish and that is AOK if that's what you want.

Since you continue to post on this, perhaps you don't want to be a jellyfish.

Two: I will share with you a story that I heard once at a high school commencement a long time ago for a neighbor's kid. The valedictorian got up on stage, and started her speech: She said that she heard this from a public figure, perhaps it was Winston Churchill, I don't remember. But she presented, and I'm paraphrasing (briefly as it was a long speech) to the best of my memory:

"Class of ##; congrats! We have exciting times ahead and I want to share a story I hope will help you in your future endeavors.

I have Lyme disease. I didn't earn this, or deserve it, it just happened. I learned a long time ago that my disease could defeat, define or distinguish me.

With defeat, I could've walked through life stating my life circumstances are, because I unfairly got this disease. How unfair! This is the reason why I'm not where I want to be with my life. This is the reason why I complain and am miserable. This is the reason why others have it better. Etc.

It could have defined me. Regardless of my outcome in life, I could always rehash back that my life was only as it was because of the Lyme disease. Regardless if it was good or bad. I would always be known as 'hey there's that Lyme disease girl.' Whether they were referencing me in a good or bad way.

Or, my personal problems could distinguish me. Until this speech, other than my doctor, parents and best friend, nobody has known of my condition. I debated heavily whether to use this or not, as his could throw me into the "define" category in some of your minds, but, it was worth the risk. In spite of the difficulties this disease has caused me (she describe challenges I don't remember), I have accomplished what I have in spite of it. I'm here speaking to you today as the valedictorian and on my way to my dream college. 4 years from now, expect to see me speaking as the valedictorian there too. This is the last time anyone will hear me mention my personal struggles.

Class of ##, you too have this freedom to choose how your own personal life circumstances will defeat, define or distinguish you."

Well, it was FAR more moving and detailed when she said it!

Good luck!
Appreciate 3
Nkc1600.50