06-01-2020, 05:12 PM   #1
KingsXman
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 428i xDrive Gran Coupe

Garage List
Run-flat or non-run-flat tires?

I'm not sure if I'm posting this in the right forum as I'm new to the page and new to owning a BMW with run flats. So I just wanted to ask a general question and get some opinions/feelings on it.

Do most members of the page that own BMW's with run flat tires feel they are the better option over non run flats? I'm in the process of tracking down a jack kit for my car because it didn't come with one because it came with run flats. I've priced out tires and honestly the run flat tires aren't really that much more than non run flats. Also when it comes to tires I'm not concerned about the money, it's not where I look to save money. I'm of the thinking you buy cheap tires, you get cheap tires.

But in talking to the dealership about a jack I figured I'd ask his input on the run flat tires. I know they're made to go 50 miles but I was under the impression they could be repaired. I understand like any tire a tear or slice in the sidewall and they're trash. But I'm being told they shouldn't be repaired no matter what the damage. So for arguments sake I said so if my tires have a lot of tread left or are new you're saying it should still be replaced? He said yes. To which I said well if I replace just one tire then that one new tire is going to make all the tires wear uneven.

Basically he told me BMW went with run flats to lighten the weight on the car and improve performance. Said it wasn't to be cost effective.

So what's some opinions on this subject?