07-20-2014, 09:36 PM   #27
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4/3rds View Post
I have the pleasure of owning a Omega limited edition, Brietling superocean and a few other luxury watches BUT one of my favorite watches was under a grand. It's a Zodiac Oceanaire. Check them out:
http://www.zodiacwatches.com/en_US/s...agePath=ZO8014
As you like Zodiac, you may want to look for a well maintained and gently used vintage Zodiac diver. A great many of them were the go-to watch for top divers sand surfers from the 60s and 70s and have the wear marks that accompany that status. Some collectors don't mind the scratches and dings, others do. I don't mind them, but if I have a choice in the matter, I prefer they be ones I put there unless I have a some connection or affinity with the person who did.

Those vintage Zodiacs are among the few sensibly priced watches that have some collector value as well, although collector value isn't worth a damn if you don't like vintage watches. The modern ones are also nice watches, but I don't know that the company making them (Fossil) shares the commitment and association with diving/surfing as did the Zodiac company from whom they purchased the brand name, but not the actual company Zodiac. As such, I'm not sure whether the current models will sometime in the future capture the hearts of collectors. For non-collectors having no forward looking collecting expectations, they are a perfectly fine and nice watch.

All the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0