03-23-2009, 01:58 PM   #25
Rick
Stackin' Chips
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2008 AW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarlucci1 View Post
haha, thanks for the info.. Seriously though, can anyone give me a realistic time frame of the morning commute from SM to LA?
these were realistic answers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Which part of LA and what part of Santa Monica?

A common misconception on the part of out of towners here is to estimate the commute time based on the distance. There are many other factors involved :

1. Day of the week/ Time of the day
2. the degree of difficulty to access freeway
3. Direction of travel (with or opposing the heavy traffic - it shifts during the day)
4. Your degree of knowledge and comfort with taking surface road in lieu of freeways when everything comes to halt

and many more I can't think of right now

That being said, if all conditions are normal it should take you anywhere from 25-30 minutes to get from Santa Monica to Downtown LA through I-10 Santa Monica Fwy.

During my 22 years of living in this town, this has only happened may be 4-5 times though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondtar View Post
Allow an hour anytime after 8:00 a.m. if you don't want to be late to work. The sooner you leave the house the better.
If you don't want to risk being late for work then you should leave about an hour before you start work just to be safe. No one can predict when there will be accidents or delays on the 10 freeway but your typical daily commute time should be 25-35 minutes. Getting back home to Santa Monica (10 west) after a day's work should take you slightly longer.