10-29-2020, 11:10 AM   #61
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Sure, while the technologists push the limits of what's possible, the bureaucrats will do their thing too. That's how evolution happens. It's not just one entity operating in isolation.

Today's product development tends to happens in an agile fashion, not the old waterfall approach of yesteryear. Not everything is planned out up front. I'm not not necessarily the guy who likes to see all of this bleeding edge stuff proven out while using public spaces as a laboratory, so I certainly do appreciate the legislative forces. For example, I'm glad that at least the Germans have called shenanigans on the "Autopilot" nonsense. Noise and drama like that aside though, I don't have a problem with the see-what-sticks approach. Self parking and adaptive cruise control were witchcraft pre-2000. Folks would have run screaming. Now your economy cars can do it. Autonomy isn't going to land in our laps like the astronauts landed on the moon. It's already happening and it's going to keep happening more and more until one day our great grandkids are debating whether flying cars can realistically replace land vehicles because who can even remember when those didn't drive themselves anymore.
The FAA (read DOT) can't even yet figure out how to integrate flying UAV into the national airspace. Drone technology is highly advanced, watch the DRL (drone racing league) as an example and you'll be amazed. I'll not even mention Predator. So if there is any place in the transportation sector that the technology "is here" it is drones. Yet the FAA is fumbling about and can't get out of the way. Letting millions of cars drive themselves with humans inside? Good luck with overcoming that obstacle at the Department of Trans.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 10-29-2020 at 12:29 PM..
Appreciate 0