07-29-2021, 07:32 PM   #136
dscabra
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GMC Denali

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DETRoadster View Post
Good on you, you sound like an excellent manager and advocate for your team. They are lucky to have you.

Curious how you deal with comp for the "lifers" in your team. You know, the folks who have been there 20, 25, years. They do an excellent job, but lets face it every role has a maximum comp beyond which it makes no sense to pay regardless of knowledge and tenure. In the field I'm in, engineering, I see that frequently with young and bright engineers who eventually top out and have to make a choice: Stay technical or go into management. The fact is, no one is going to pay an ME $500k a year, no matter how good they are or how well they know the business. At some point they top out. And at some point it makes more sense to just let them leave and bring in a new employee who commands a lower salary.

At some point you may rise up to an executive level with SG&A responsibility. Thats the point where you really start to see that every role has, unfortunately, compensation limits no matter how great the employee is.
I work for a big company that provides many opportunities for career paths in either technical or leadership roles. I was a Principal Engineer and found that I had pretty much hit my peak in that role. I then transitioned to a manager role. I find I now have more to contribute through leadership experience. I'm in the same "level", but with more opportunity to achieve the next level than I would have had I stayed purely technical. Each level has a salary range that let's people see raises for many years before topping out. The easiest way to get that next level is to take a new position that is open at that level. Some people are content to stay in ther comfort zone, while those that want to get to the executive levels have that opportunity.
Appreciate 1
DETRoadster11462.50