03-28-2020, 11:58 AM   #208
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
All good options in their own way, and a wide variety of tastes. #1 or #4 would be my choices (but around here, the Aberlour is pushing $100 IIRC). Aberlour is a complex sherried taste; Oban is a smokier but less 'harsh' Islay. Balvenie or the HP12 if you aren't as into the smoke/peat. Have to note that I'm not enough into rye/bourbon to spend this money - the cask-strength versions from Wild Turkey, Knob C. or Bulleit are about as fancy as I ever get with those.

Perhaps worth considering, not real pricey: Bunnahabain, Bruichladdich (lots of variations, including un-peated), Glenfarclas, Glenmorangie (esp Quinta Ruban but lots of different finishes), Talisker 10 (not Storm). Assuming from the initial Asian interest that you aren't as into the high-peat like Laphroaig, Ardbeg, or Lagavulin. The Quinta Ruban might be my top pick if you are looking for s/t with complex connoisseur flavors - to me it was quite unique and didn't readily map onto the typical scotch flavor spectrums. If you aren't careful, in 6 months you'll have caught the bug and will just be trying s/t different every week
I had some of the ones you mentioned in the cart but removed them. Narrowed down to those 6. I have some Bulleit and Templeton rye that I like. Got a bottle of Lagavulin 16 and wasn’t a fan at first but now it’s not bad. I know what you mean about catching the bug. All of a sudden I developed a taste for whiskey in November and been drinking it here and there since. The past month I’ve bought about 8 bottles and drinking from them every day. Been looking to buy more but trying to control myself. 😆
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00