03-04-2011, 04:51 PM   #46
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellipsis212 View Post
i wont argue about this, but you can make a damn fine espresso with a $500 machine. more expensive machines can certainly be better but the point of diminishing returns is reached very quickly.

the bottom line is that technique cannot be purchased for a higher price. get to know what you're doing and then you can be the judge of your machine.

i put myself through school as a barista and i cared about doing quality work. i wouldn't recommend a Breville if i didn't believe it was a good tool.
I dont suggest the breville because for one, it doesnt have a standard professional portafilter. Their higher end machines have built in grinders and built in tamps? WTF? The grinder will never be good enough to make consistent espresso. You can make great espresso with a $200 machine, but there are only a couple machines on the market that can do so. In the $500 range there are a bunch of machines. Its not that get get diminishing returns as the price increases. Once you reach double boiler machines you have more consistent temperatures. I dont think the wand is good enough or that the machine produces enough pressure to make decent foam, let alone actual microfoam.

I dont recommend a breville because I dont think they are good. Like I said, if you want to spend $500, you buy a Rancillio Silvia, as it is the gold standard at the price range. Not a breville.
Appreciate 0