View Single Post
      09-11-2019, 06:02 AM   #1153
Rmtt
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 128i, 2008 LS3 C6

So this morning was shoulders and arms. I have been experimenting with various exercise combinations for biceps...and came up with a sequence I think works pretty good. One of you guys should give it a try and see what you think.

1st exercise - Some type of curl where your elbows are physically behind the plane of your body. Like Incline Bench DB curls, Drag Curls, and one I like is the ISO Cable machine where I can step forward and kind of lean over. The curl starts with my arms pulled back behind my body stretching the biceps, and the finished position still has me with my biceps contracted, but my elbows are behind me.

This works the long head of the biceps very effectively.

2nd exercise - Some type of curl where your elbows are in front of you body. Something like preacher curls, spider curls, etc and keep your grip more narrow than normal.

This works the short head of the biceps.

3rd exercise - any type of Hammer curl as this works the brachialis muscle. Most people don't know it, but the brachialis muscle has a larger cross-sectional area than the biceps. This muscle will elevate the peak of your biceps, and when your body fat is low enough... you can see it as a golf-ball looking bump between you biceps and triceps on the side of your arm. It makes your arms look thicker when viewed from the front. Hammer curls are great for it, but I have an exercise that I was taught years ago that really isolates them.

By bringing your shoulders overhead, you can really isolate this muscle. Imagine standing in front of the Lat Pulldown machine....but instead of the long bar you have a cable curl bar on it. You just simply reach up, grab the bar, and curl it downward trying to reach behind your head for peak contraction. Do this at the end with lighter weight and higher reps to finish off your biceps. The pump is crazy!

Sorry for the long post...but this is my PSA for today. If you try this out, be sure to post your thoughts on what you think of it.

I have only started doing this for the last 3-4 weeks...and I can see a difference already.