View Single Post
      05-06-2019, 10:49 AM   #354
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimmy23 View Post
We're going to replace the hardwood (solid) flooring in our home; hallways, kitchen, great room.

I'm torn between solid hardwood and engineered hardwood. Price doesn't really matter. The old school part of me thinks solid is better just because? On the other hand, our contractor says engineered hardwood would be much easier to maintain and better for the kitchen.

What's everyone's thoughts? Engineered or solid?
real wood the only way to go if it is a place you are going to live in for some time.

The biggest issues with the engineered wood is that a majority of them can not be refinished, so you eventually have to replace.

Engineered is significantly cheaper to buy (unless you find some real wood on closeout) and is significantly cheaper to install. This is why you see it in most of the tract homes. But go into one of those homes thats been lived in with pets and/or kids for a few years, and the floors are beat up. Real wood would have the same damage, but you can refinish them for a fraction of the cost to re-install new floors.

Now, if you plan to sell within the next few years, go cheap and get engineered. It will look just as good as hardwood and you dont have to spend the upfront costs of hardwood

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 1