View Single Post
      08-07-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Onetime237
Private
Rep
Drives: 335

2013 Used M5 vs 2015 M3

This has already been discussed at some point on this site, but I'm new to all of this so, hopefully someone can give me some insight.

I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an 2015 M3. I have looked at a "corporate fleet" M5 with about 15K miles on it. I know they are different cars - different experiences. I do mostly city driving and have two small kids. Not that they would be in the car much, it is really just for me to enjoy.

I'm really confused about which direction to go for a few reasons:

M5
1 - this whole corporate fleet or exec demo thing has me a bit worried. I was told it was not used as a track car, just driven by someone from corporate. The tires don't look that bad at all (doesn't mean they were not replaced before being put on sale) and the interior seems in quite good shape.

2 - it has a number of options, is naturally powerful, but is definitely a heavier riding and feeling car. I almost feel disconnected from the road when i've tested it. I'm not sure that is necessarily a bad thing since i'm not cruising winding country roads where i can really open it up.

3 - the cost to own is certainly more than the M3, and the gas mileage is a lot worse, it seems. I know the warranty is 15K used, that too is sitting out there in my decision-making process.

4 - in general, it's was a very different ride compared to the M3 and over the long-term i'm not sure if would prefer the comfort with power vehicle vs. the M3 and it's more raw driving feeling

M3

1 - i definitely got more of a rush driving this car, but it is much more raw...maybe connected is the word or maybe just less protected from the sound. I also thing the difference in weight makes you feel the car more. Again, i'm not tracking the vehicle or really out there in fun roads to explore the car to even half of its potential.

2 - i've read some people complain about the exhaust note being annoying after a while, something you do not really detect too much in the M5. That said, i'm not pulling 3 hour drives...more like 20 - 60 minutes, tops here and there - so it's hard to tell if i will get annoyed for that period of time. When i tested the M3, i heard the engine, but it didn't seem terrible.

3 - I've read some reviews that the AC in the M3 is really bad and that the there is a cheapness to the interior materials...most-likely done to save weight, I suppose.

Lastly - the price for the M5 is in the mid-80s and with the M3 not too far below, i'm really confused what to do. I'm probably opening myself up to more confusion, but thought i'd put it out there and get some reactions.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0