View Single Post
      01-27-2023, 07:35 AM   #13
Tommy-G
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 435 Vert Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by billnchristy View Post
I'm really bad at this too, as evidenced by my thread about my promotion. It's easy to find jobs paying more but it's also easy to find them paying less. If you're happy where you are and living ok, put it into perspective, unless it's a major % increase you gain all of a six pack to an ok meal for 2 on a weekly basis. It obviously adds up over time but since you're somewhere that it doesn't happen often what is 2-5% really going to do to your bottom line?

But, like I said, I'm really bad at this. Almost 10 years in the Navy where it just happened automatically kind of did that and I'm also not a salesman, not even for myself.

But to answer the question, review yourself and bring it and ask for a raise. If he can't argue with your review then why would he argue the raise, if he has criticism of your self-evaluation, ask for his side and meet in the middle and present a plan to fix those shortcomings and ask if you can revisit the topic in a few months.
I think my problem is when my guys come to me they say "hey, boss I need a raise" and I really feel like its so cliche and people feel entitled just because another year went by.

I'm hoping by not being so robotic about it that it may be viewed differently and more beneficial to me. As mentioned, even if I got nothing I wouldnt leave but depending on percentages it could be substantial ($30-40k) additional if he agrees with my sales pitch
Appreciate 0