View Single Post
      09-22-2020, 07:47 AM   #7
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

The bigger question is what and if there will be a performance car market where manuals tend to have better adoption. But even with performance cars, how many of them are optioned/available with manuals? It's a slowly dying option. I think all of the super/hyper cars are now autos. And for the cars that do have a manual as an option, how many of those are ordered with a manual? This point is a little touchy in my opinion as it's sort of the chicken and egg thing. I think a big part of the low manual orders is because dealers are ordering cars in auto in larger numbers than manual. Many customers are not willing to wait for a custom ordered car and will settle for what's on the lot. But in the end, it's up to us consumers to actually put our money where our collective mouths are and actually buy manual cars. In the end, sales numbers don't lie.

The other aspect is regulation. With increasing EPA fuel economy standards, getting manuals to comply is an increasingly difficult proposition especially with the low sales numbers. Add to this the drive to autonomous vehicles, and you have a convergence of the perfect storm to drive manuals to extinction. This doesn't even get into the ICE vs electric vehicle debate.
Appreciate 1
sygazelle11091.00