04-28-2019, 05:34 PM   #217
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by webmeezer View Post
Congrats. It IS a 12vdc system

Get to mowing (wife doing first half of the front yard)
Thnx. Indeed it is! I also kinda want to vinyl wrap some of it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
you'll appreciate those attachments!
Having raked most of the backyard manually...you bet! I need to go calculate the intersect where the lawn & mowing company costs would cross what I just forked out. Still, it'll be good to have more direct control over the lawn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
the RGS in the CarbonX to me is just a bonus. not only that but it also has all your necessary micronutrients as well. this in the long run is actually much cheaper than Milorganite. I usually need 10 bags of Milo for my yard whereas I only need 1 bag of CarbonX. I ordered 2 bags since this should take care of my fertilizer needs for the rest of the year

I have a 4 gallon backpack sprayer so I combine both RGS/Humic12. apply mid Spring and that another Mid summer and that's it. I try to keep it simple and not over do it.

my regimen every year is early spring I would pretty much cut the dormant grass down to an inch to get rid of all the brown, dead grass.
Than dethatch/aerate. wait a week or 2 for the plugs to break down than throw down my pre emergent for crabgrass. the following week is when I apply my first app of RGS/Humic12. about May is when you'll start to see the broadleafs coming in like dandylions and clover. I usually spot spray for those.
Sounds like I generally had the right order (save the differing steps of seeding). Why mix the Humic-12 w/ the RGS when the RGS has at least some humic in it already?

I've got some weeds coming up now...a few dandelions but mostly some tall thing that I can't identify.

I was thinking of ordering seed from GCI but man that is pricey. At a 6 lbs/1,000 sq ft rate, I'd need 3 bags which is $360+s/h. I might wait until next Saturday to see what Russo has available in bulk. I'll admit that I'm a bit unsure what grass type to seed with. Russo has mostly ryegrass but it seems that a mixture of other grass would be wise for Chicago.

Yeah, the Carbon-X is more cost effective. I added it to my little Excel calculator to figure out how many fert bags and approx cost I'd need. I just select which parts of the yard from a drop down and the formulas do the rest. I can also adjust the coverage/application rate as needed.
Attached Images

Last edited by bosstones; 04-28-2019 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0