Dog Face Pony Soldier
2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
First check out www.rtings.com

Also, I've been a CEDIA professional for decades. I have a lot of experience here.

Personally I wouldn't buy an LG if it wasn't an OLED.

OLED is (as someone else said) really for a light controlled (dark) room. This inherently makes them better suited for movies (in a dark room) rather than sports (watched in a brighter room). OLED can get completely black, but struggle to get bright. The other thing I don't like... well beyond the image-retention issue... is I don't think OLEDs handle the image extremes very well. They get completely black, but their performance just above completely black is nothing great. Pros often refer to this as "shadow detail." As for max brightness, there is no question, they struggle.

Samsung QLED strong point is color. That is why I believe people like them so much. They are arguably the best at rendering color. Weak point is motion performance. They handle motion ok, it's just that SONY does it better.

SONY XBR is my personal preference. I like their calibration and signal processing capabilities. They have two very good presets (Cinema Home and Cinema Pro) for those that don't get their panel professionally calibrated. This alone is worth it for people not having a pro tweak their set. SONY also rules motion performance.

SONY color uniformity (a sensitive issue for LCD panels) is at least as good as Samsung, if not better, but this literally varies from set to set. I suggest you check your set's individual performance in the darkest room you can find before accepting delivery.