Drives: E90 330xi

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [9.50]
2006 BMW 330xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by colorado.e9x View Post
The question I'm about to ask I already have and answer to but a small lack of understanding.

I was recently driving around at night when a pretty good snow storm (was basically a blizzard) hit. My lights being Xenon did not help my visibility at all. Couldn't see 10 feet in front of you on low lit roads. At this point I pulled over for just a moment, put my fogs on and turned my lights to parking lights. Also keep my halos for being halos are pretty damn bright, they illuminate things in front of it a good amount. I noticed I can see a lot better without my high or low beams on. This brought up the idea.. I find it somewhat silly that having high/low beams off at night in a situation like this is still illegal. I think my pretty bright halos in conjunction with bright yellow fog lights should be enough, and I can always turn on the low beams when I see a car approaching.
For legal reasons I won't do this, unless there's a way around it.. Which I doubt
I agree that in certain inclement conditions like heavy fog or whiteout, low/high beam headlights reflect light and cause worsening visibility. Certain cars have alternative lighting that does, indeed, perform better in those conditions, but the California Vehicle Code - or any state's vehicle code - is written to cover all cars comprehensively. You'd be cited for a violation of CVC 24250 if you drove without your headlights in operation in California (...which carries a fine, a point and a potential license suspension, but the latter is unlikely under most circumstances), even with good intent and/or a reasonable explanation.....

....or maybe the officer would just warn you and advise you to turn on your headlights absent any other issues.
I'll have to look into this with Colorado. Thanks!