09-05-2019, 05:14 PM   #3588
Grumpy Old Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Porsche 993, 2015 MB GLK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB-335xiCoupe View Post
Interesting conversation you guys have been having. I just read the last page or so of this thread.

The whole controversy of carrying one in the pipe, condition 1 condition 2, etc... can be an endless debate. I feel like most of you do, that the number one safety is your brain. Regardless of the firearm, condition, situation etc.

I've been shooting guns since I was 7, and I'm 47 now. Never had an AD either. But it could certainly happen.

One side that people usually don't think of as far as having a chambered round: Someone else grabbing your gun.

If you are in a situation (obviously unpredictable) such as a robbery in a bank or restaurant, even a carjacking... The bad guys might be looking for CCW people carrying guns within the restaurant, bank, car. Yes, you can lay low, waiting for the right moment to make your move, you could wait for the right moment to NOT make a move, etc.

But if the BG is actively looking for someone carrying a gun and grabs yours - what is he going to do with it? Is he going to try to shoot you with it? Is it going to go click or bang? You know the condition your gun is in. He doesn't. That is to your advantage.

If you know that your gun does NOT have a round in chamber, that gives you a second to react to the thug who is assuming he has a ready-to-fire gun. If you know it DOES have a round in chamber, are you ready and strong enough to wrestle it from him?

Which kind of condition do you want your gun to be in if someone else grabs it? Again, just something to think about.
Again, this comes down to practice and training. Gun retention is a thing. I've had two gun grabs done on me. This is a fight for your life, still always would keep one in the chamber. If you're losing the battle then give them the gun, one piece at a time and at about 1100 FPS. Seriously there is no right answer. And the point you raise is a valid one. If you're carrying a gun with an external safety do they know how to work it? Also, if you're carrying CCW, how do they know you're carrying? I think in the situation you're describing you are actually hoping for the element of surprise.
Appreciate 2