SteveC
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M5

Graphic Equalization

Quote:
Originally Posted by R3dn3k Flyby View Post
In my opinion, it's all about how you setup the EQ.

My '07 335i had the Logic 7. My '08 M3 and '11 M3 both had the Enhanced Premium Sound. My '13 M5 has the B&O. All of them sounded like garbage when I purchased the car, and once I dialed in the EQ, they all sound phenomenal. The B&O is definitely the king of the heap in the sound quality/clarity department and the bass it's able to deliver when tuned properly overshadows the others as well in my opinion.

-James

Hi James, with respect, I have never owned any sound system, ever, that sounded better with large parts of the sonic spectrum either boosted or cut. I have been an audiophile for 40 years and in that time have owned many different systems, including home concocted and manufacturer configured. My home systems typically do not offer graphic equalization, as its not seen as beneficial by most high-end hi-fi manufacturers.

Car systems and personal stereos on the other hand seem to treat graphic equalization as a must-have feature.
I listen to a lot of music. For the most part, dialling in some sort of sound effect just sounds like what it is.....distortion....a type of coloration that's present on every recording. It may sound spectacular to begin with but ultimately becomes tiring. The acid test after dialling in changes is to remove them after a few days. If you get a sense of relief or a feeling of getting rid of oppressive bass or treble, you know your adjustments aren't working.

There are of course a few recording that do benefit from a slight boost of bass, treble or midrange to compensate for poor recording technique, but I've never found a setting on any system I've owned that sounded better on all recordings with anything other than flat frequency response.

Of course there are cases where graphic equalization comes into its own. Listening at abnormally low or high levels or for people with frequency related hearing defects spring to mind.

BMWs offer the potential for some fairly serious tuning to their sound systems. Sorting out the various crossovers between speakers rather than relying on the speaker's natural bandwidth limiting roll-off brings some real clean-up of the sound, as does beefing up the damping and stiffness of speaker baffles like shelves and door panels.
Appreciate 1
Soul_Glo13397.00