10-23-2020, 08:00 PM   #4545
//Melon
Designer, Builder, Thrasher of Tires.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1987 BMW 325, 2014 BMW 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Yeah, over the summer I had him swimming too, he was honestly getting better. Which is why we were more relaxed letting him off leash...and then he does his crazy run and makes it 100% worse.

The vet did present the surgery option, however, we are disinclined to go that route for a few reasons:

1. No guarantee it won't tear again, and surgery or no surgery, there is still a 40-50% chance the other leg will blow according to the vet (this surprised me).

2. Apparently there can be little complications from it (usually easy to repair by the sounds of it, but another $1K in work if you get the complications)

3. Surgery for one leg will cost about $5,500...but given the odds of the other leg going, you basically need to budget $11K.

4. He's an older dog, if he were younger and had more of his life ahead of him, I'd be more inclined to pursue the surgery.

5. He doesn't act like he's in pain, aside from holding his foot up, still the same gentle dog, no change in his behaviour in other regards, still thinks he ought to be taken on walks and gets very excited when he thinks he's going...but is constantly depressed because we leave him behind.

So if we can brace it and he can put some weight on it, I can start taking him for walks again, which he basically lives for. That and tennis balls. Which he isn't permitted anymore...no bursts of movement for him.
Poor pupper!

It's tough making those decisions for sure man.
Appreciate 0