Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 TR G80 M3CX

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3WC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightWriter View Post
Well the new XM will incorporate a V8 hybrid powertrain, which I'm sure will trickle down to the next M5/M8. I'm really hoping BMW finds a way to retain an inline-six hybrid (even if a smaller displacement) in the next M3/M4, with a closer eye on weight gain than Mercedes was able to do with its new AMG C63. But I fear they're going to switch to an EV-only architecture (especially given the prototype they teased not long ago).
The battery pack size in the XM is 25kwh. That alone will be an additional 400-450lbs. Then add in the weight of electric motor between the ICE and ZF gearbox. All other additional battery cooling, cables, ecu's, etc. The next gen M5 is going to be hefty, no way around it. The XM is going to come in around 6,000lbs according to bmwblog. The new C63E drops the heavy 8cylinder for the turbo 4cylinder, only has a small 6kwh battery and a EDU...it weighs mid-4000lbs. Cars are going to get much heavier for the foreseeable future, until battery tech improves.
Forget about all those EXCESS batteries and use an MGU-K and MGU-H with turbochargers in a hybrid ICE EV system. Batteries are a terribly inefficient (energy per kg) way to store energy. The less needed, the better.
Appreciate 1
M5Rick59584.50