View Single Post
      05-24-2019, 10:10 PM   #414
bosstones
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: o_0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
what's the best thing I can put down on my lawn NOW (as it's already warm 60-70 in northeast) to help fill in my spotty patches and get rid of the crabgrass?

Spent like 200 bucks on a 2-step seed before the warm weather came. Got constant rain (good), but lawn didn't come in nearly as well as it should have. Looking for any help here, I'm desperate.
If it was a lot of rain, that wasn't necessarily good for the seed. Short, frequent watering is better.

That said, if your spotty patches aren't too huge, you could always redo those spots from scratch and re-seed them. I'd expect at least some weeds on any bare spots, though. If you do go scorched earth and re-seed those areas, supposedly Tenacity will work as a pre-M and not affect grass seed germination (depending on grass type). Haven't tried that yet myself, though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
you're already late to put down any pre emergent for the crabgrass. there is some post emergent herbicides you can buy but if the crabgrass is already mature there's nothing you can use to kill them. also if you plan on filling any barespots it's not ideal to use any weed products. i would just skip the weeds and fill in the bare spots. Scott's usually has some all in one stuff you can use. it's all in the prep work. what did you actually do when you put that 2 step seed in?
Depending on the average soil temps, he could still put down a pre-M and snuff out some crabgrass from growing in but he definitely won't be getting all of them at this point.

Any crabgrass that is growing in will at least be at an early stage and not have many tillers. I had good luck w/ Q4+ as a post-emergent. Tenacity should also work but I haven't tried it on crabgrass. Dimension, Quinchlorac, and Prodiamine should all work as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lsturbointeg View Post
I would definitely put down Humic12 whenever you get a chance. i always apply RGS/Humic12 at the same time. I only have RGS and Humic12 so my regimen for the season is early Spring, 1st week of June and end of August/1st week of September and that's it. some of the Youtubers actually apply both products each month which to me is a waste or product and money. just like fertilizer 3x each season.

as far as your seeding plan i would put down peat moss after you seed. this helps cover from birds eating the seed.
I ended up mixing 6oz of Humic-12 w/ the 5oz of RGS I put down today. Used about a 11.5:1 dilution and a 70deg fan tip on my backpack sprayer. Not sure how much got down to the ground vs grass blades before drying. I eventually ran my sprinkler a little bit after I put down the Hyr-Brix several hours after N-ext application. It's lightly raining atm so that'll help get things watered in.

Ya know....I might actually just drop a layer of topsoil over the thatch layer in areas. The seeds will start germinating in the soil and the roots will be able to get thru the thatch....and the thatch will eventually break down in the new soil.

I bought a little bit of peat moss but not a lot. Price justification for getting several cubic yards was not in favor of getting more.