10-19-2021, 12:09 PM   #26
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz1 View Post
As someone that is a "car guy", worked at GM in the 80's and recently worked on chips in ADAS and ASIL-C/D systems how do people keep claiming that Tesla is ahead?

They are ahead in infrastructure, that's true.
They have good battery technology, but BMW, Ford and others are heavily invested in next-gen solid state battery technology. But even now, the technology used in batteries across the board is roughly equivalent.

Tesla is not "the leader" in autonomous technology; they just market their technology using names that imply something they don't have. GM/Cruise is ahead of Tesla in highway autonomous driving and is truly hands free. Not like Tesla, which requires your hands remain on the wheel. Tesla is L2, but so is BMW, Audi, and others.

Tesla is not and never will be FSD. The lack of redundancy in it's camera system is the first issue.

Tesla is the leader in selling EV, but that does not make them the leader in the tech, etc. Tesla had a clean slate. Other companies need to stay in business to transition to EV or fuel cell.
ESG investors and customers view Tesla as a tech company rather than a car company. Consequently any screw up on Tesla's part is overlooked. They do solar, space, and automobiles. Perhaps a modem day version of GE.

Personally I'm worried about my next vehicle. I want to continue to drive ICE but I worry about fuel prices going through the roof once EV's have begun to reduce consumption of gasoline. It's why I'm holding on to my paid off 4-series.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0